Close this search box.

Taking a Sample

A hay probe is the only way to obtain a representative sample from individual bales of hay. Often times you can borrow a hay probe from your local extension office. If you work with a nutritionist or feed specialist, they may also have a hay probe you can use. You may also choose to purchase your own hay probe. The Penn State hay probe is available through our online store or by calling customer support at 877-819-4110 or emailing [email protected]. Use of the hay probe will also require a high powered electric drill, not included with the sale of the probe. 



To download the instructions on how to take a hay sample, click here.



To download the instructions on how to take a pasture sample, click here.

Video Demonstration